What It Is: Worldwide annual survey of law firms, with focus on key financial metrics: gross revenue, revenue per lawyer, and profits per partner. Separate rankings are available for each metric, as well as an overall performance ranking.
Why It Matters To You: Like many other businesses, law firms are becoming more global. The Global 100 reveals many trends in law firm performance that have direct and indirect impact on legal hiring, compensation, and opportunities for advancement.
Considerations: Again, law firms are very aware of this ranking, and do what they can to influence their data. Some industry insiders have questioned whether such focus on these four financial metrics (which have changed the business of law) is healthy for law firms or for the legal industry.
Sample Key Findings
- The Global 100 (2017): Growth is slowing and profits are dipping.
- Take a closer look and see firms ranked by most revenue, head count, and highest profit per equity partner.
- The Global 100 (2016): Find out which firms have the most revenue, most lawyers, and most profits per partner.
- The Global 100 (2015): A pattern of steady growth continues with a new firm in the number one spot.
- The Global 100 (2014): Post-recession recovery continues as firms look abroad for growth.
- The Global 100 (2013): Recovery is tentative as the markets remain sluggish.
- The Global 100 (2012): New giants emerge to dominate the latest edition of the annual report.
- The Global 100 (2011): Global expansion pays off.
- Previous Years: 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007
You May Also Be Interested In
- For global firms, is this as good as it gets? The new normal for the world’s largest law firms is shaping up to be slowing growth and falling profits.
- Where are global law firms headed to and where are they leaving? Take a look at how the tides are changing in Hong Kong.